Accommodation Services

Accommodation Services assists students through an interactive process to identify reasonable accommodations to ensure students have equal access to educational opportunities. Staff provides advocacy and support for students with disabilities while working with and providing training for faculty, staff, and the College to remove unnecessary barriers.

Accommodation Services is here to provide advocacy, quality services, and support to students, faculty, and staff. The College is committed to creating an environment that is welcoming, inclusive, and accessible.

Accessibility and Accommodation Law Requirements

Colleges and universities have an obligation to provide access to students with disabilities in all institutional programs and activities. This obligation is articulated in the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Dear Colleague Letters issued by the U.S. Department of Education, Office of Civil Rights, and/or the U.S. Department of Justice and numerous state and local laws [Excerpt from].

Kirkwood Community College has established policies and procedures to implement provisions of the above cited legal documents. These policies and procedures are used to determine reasonable accommodations for students with disabilities to meet academic and technical standards required for their educational program. Policies can be found in the Kirkwood Community College Credit Catalog.


Sign Language Interpreting

Kirkwood provides American Sign Language Interpreting for Deaf/deaf and hard of hearing prospective students, community members and visitors for college sponsored events. If you are in need of interpreter services for a college event (e.g. orientation, meeting with faculty or staff, performance) click the button below to request a sign language interpreter.

Request A Sign Language Interpreter

If you are a new or currently enrolled Kirkwood student who will need on-going interpreting services for scheduled classes, please complete the Application for Accommodations and schedule a time to meet with an Accommodations Access Advocate to arrange on-going interpreting services for your classes. 

Start here if you are a new student seeking academic accommodations for classes. You are considered a new student if you have never sought academic accommodations before. Accommodations are available for students enrolled in credit classes, continuing education courses, or are taking a licensed exam through Kirkwood.  

New Students

Are you a current student needing to renew your accommodations, or need to know how to schedule your tests? Find out more about the next steps to receiving academic accommodations.  

Current Students

Access to resources and information to answer questions about accommodations and how to support students with disabilities.

Faculty & Staff

Have questions? Want to meet with an Accommodations Access Advocate?    Make an Appointment

Questions? Contact Us!

Accommodation Services

Phone: 319-398-5540

Fax: 319-398-7788